WHY SHOULD I BE WATER BAPTIZED?
Once we have accepted Jesus as our Lord and Savior, baptism is a way for us to publicly declare our new life in Christ. It is also a step of obedience based on God’s commands and allows us to follow the example of Jesus, who submitted Himself to be baptized to “…fulfill all righteousness.” Colossians 2:12, Romans 4:6
IS BAPTISM A REQUIREMENT FOR SALVATION?
No. The way to salvation is clear in the Bible:
- Acknowledge that you are a sinner.
- Believe that Jesus died for your sins and was raised from the dead.
- Confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord.
Romans 10:9-10 says: “If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.”
DOES WATER BAPTISM MAKE ME A CHRISTIAN?
No. Baptism does not make you a believer in Christ. It shows that you already have a relationship with God through Jesus Christ. Baptism does not save you. Only your faith in Jesus will do that. Baptism is like a wedding ring, it’s the outward symbol of a commitment you made in your heart.
DO I NEED TO BE A MEMBER OF GRACE CHURCH TO BE BAPTIZED?
No. Everyone is welcome to participate in water baptism.
ARE BAPTISMS ADMINISTERED BY SPRINKLING OF WATER OR IMMERSION?
Baptisms performed at Grace Church are full body water immersion according to the example of baptism in the New Testament. (Matthew 3:16, Acts 8:36)
MAY I BE BAPTIZED EVEN IF I DON’T REGISTER?
Yes. Please come to the front of the sanctuary when the speaking pastor makes the invitation. Extra baptism items will be provided, if needed.
WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT ON BAPTISM DAY?
- An invitation will be made for all those being baptized to meet at the front of the sanctuary at the end of the church service.
- You will then be escorted to the baptism area where you will receive your baptism t-shirt and change into your baptism clothes.
- Family members and friends may exit the sanctuary and join you in the baptism to personally witness your baptism.
- You will receive your certificate after baptism.
DOES GRACE CHURCH PROVIDE A PHOTO OR DVD OF THE BAPTISM?
Family and friends are welcome to take video or pictures of your baptism as Grace Church does not provide a photo or DVD.
AT WHAT AGE SHOULD MY CHILD BE WATER BAPTIZED?
We encourage parents to wait until their child is asking to be water baptized. This is usually a good indication that they are ready to be baptized and it will be a spiritual milestone in their life. While younger children under the age of 5 can have a relationship with Jesus Christ, they will not necessarily remember or understand the significance of the event. We encourage parents to wait until they are a little older. Remember, water baptism does not save you. Salvation occurs when your child puts their trust in Jesus Christ.
HOW CAN I DETERMINE IF MY CHILD IS READY TO BE WATER BAPTIZED?
Here are some questions to ask your child to see if they are ready:
Why do you want to be water baptized? Here are a few answers that indicate your child understands:
- Because Jesus was and He tells us to also.
- Because I’m a friend of Jesus and I want to follow Him.
What does it mean to be water baptized? Here are a few answers that indicate your child understands:
- I’m following Jesus.
- I’m a Christian and I want to show the world.
When did you decide to follow Jesus and become His forever friend (Born-again, saved)?
Your child should have a specific memory of when they understood what Jesus did for them and that they need Jesus in their life.
* At least one parent/guardian is required to accompany any child 18 and under to the baptism area.